Creamy peach and chamomile tea overnight oats topped with nuts and a drizzle of honey.
You wouldn’t know it from this blog, but peaches are one of my all time favorite foods. (I have many favorite foods, by the way). The only problem is this wonderful fruit never makes it into my recipes.
It’s the same problem that I have with pineapple. I’ll buy peaches – sometimes an insane amount – and plan to include them in a recipe. Oh, they’ll be plans, people. Peach pancakes! Peach muffins! Peach-stuffed French toast!?
Then I’ll open my fridge, feeling overly excited to whip up some peach goodness, only to find a bunch of apples staring back at me.
Some jerk ate all the peaches. And that jerk was me.
So I hope you can appreciate the monumental willpower it took to make one recipe that involves peaches.
One of these days I’ll manage to make that peach-stuffed French toast. Just you wait (literally).
In the meantime, here’s an easy overnight oats recipe made with a peach (hooray!) and calming chamomile tea.
I’m going to be completely honest and admit that the chamomile tea isn’t 100% necessary for this recipe. It adds a nice, subtle chamomile flavor, but isn’t a deal breaker for these oats. If you don’t have any chamomile tea, use milk instead. Coconut milk (from the carton, not the can) would work nicely here.
But whatever you do, don’t skimp on the honey! While it’s only a drizzle on top, the honey adds a world of flavor (a lot more flavor than the tea!). Also, there’s something about the combination of peaches and honey that is just magical.
And since I’m on the topic of honey, here’s some sage advice from Winnie the Pooh:
When you go after honey with a balloon, the great thing is not to let the bees know you’re coming.
- For the overnight oats
- ⅔ cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup Greek-style yogurt
- ⅔ cup cold chamomile tea
- 1 peach, chopped
For the mix-ins
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons whole or sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- Fresh figs or strawberries
- In a large bowl or container, combine the rolled oats, chia seeds, vanilla bean paste, yogurt and tea. Add the chopped peach and mix until completely combined.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap (or put the lid on the container) and leave in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, stir approximately half of the shredded coconuts, almonds and pumpkin seeds into the overnight oats. If the oats are too thick, also stir in some extra milk.
- Divide the overnight oats between two bowls. Top with the remaining nuts, some fresh figs or strawberries, and a generous drizzle of honey. Enjoy!
Plain, vanilla, honey or peach yogurt will work in this recipe. It doesn't have to be authentic Greek yogurt, but make sure you use a thick, good-quality yogurt.
Don't skimp on the honey! Especially if using a plain or sour yogurt.