Banana oatmeal flavored with matcha green tea powder. Healthy, gluten-free and with a vegan option.
Things are getting a little fancy around here…
Ok, maybe not that fancy. This is still a bowl of oatmeal, after all.
But this particular oatmeal features a herby, hippy superfood (superpowder?) that turns everything insanely green.
For reasons that will become clear next Friday, I currently have a little jar of matcha green tea powder in my pantry. It keeps staring at me each morning, screaming ‘Pick me! Pick me!’
So, a few weeks ago, I finally tried making myself a mug of matcha green tea. Start simple, right? While matcha green tea is traditionally served in a bowl, a mug seemed more appropriate for a klutz such as myself.
I made the tea, took a sip and it tasted like… grass.
(That was not a euphemism. I’m talking about the stuff cows eat all day long. Cows that aren’t high).
After adding some honey to that mug of tea, it finally tasted good!
Next experiment with the matcha powder: adding it into my oatmeal. At first I tried adding two teaspoons of the matcha powder. Too grassy. One teaspoon and a banana? Breakfast success!
By the way, I have this matcha green tea powder for exciting reasons! I haven’t raided a green tea truck or anything.
Matcha green tea powder has absolutely nothing to do with the Irish, but nonetheless, this could totally be a St. Patricks’ Day breakfast.
I mean, there’s nothing Irish about ice cream and mint extract, but McDonald’s offloads those Shamrock Shakes every year.
If you’re looking for some other green breakfasts for St. Patricks’ Day, then I have a few more suggestions (that don’t involve green tea):
- Zucchini and Corn Fritters
- Potato and Zucchini Pancakes
- Zucchini Bread Pancakes
- Apple ‘Super Bowl’ Baked Oatmeal
- Apple and Whiskey Overnight Oats
- Funky ‘n’ Fabulous Smoothies
- Green Smoothies
Oh, and before I forget, today is Pi Day! So whether you’re a fan of mathematics or pie (or both), have a great day!
- For the oatmeal
- ½ cup almond milk
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup rolled oats
- Pinch of salt
- 1 very ripe banana
- 1 teaspoon matcha green tea powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
For the toppings
- Shredded coconut
- Honey or maple syrup
- In a saucepan, bring the almond milk and water to a boil, and then turn down the heat to medium-low. Add the rolled oats and salt, and stir well.
- Mash the banana and add it to the saucepan. Stir in the matcha green tea powder and vanilla extract.
- When the oats are cooked and most of the liquid has been absorbed, transfer the oatmeal to a bowl. Top the oatmeal with shredded coconut and a drizzle of honey or maple syrup. Enjoy!