Healthy baked oatmeal bursting with citrus flavor and nuts. Gluten-free, vegan, and tastes like a giant cookie!
Sports. I’ll never understand them. It’s not that I don’t like them, but I just cannot comprehend what’s going on. Working out what people mean when they say ‘football’ is confusing enough, let alone actually following a game.
Admittedly, this may have something to do with my inability to play sports. One time in high school my class when to a bowling alley (ostensibly for fun), and I won the award for ‘Worst Bowler’. I maintain it was quite an achievement – few people can get so many gutter balls without trying.
So, why am I saying all of this? Well, I figured a few people may not understand my love of oatmeal (or why this orange baked oatmeal contains a grated zucchini), so I thought I’d share something that bamboozles me.
And now I realize the previous sentence makes very little sense whatsoever. Hmm, I think I have a case of End of the Week syndrome.
Let’s just move on, shall we?
This baked oatmeal is firmer and chewier than some of my recent baked oatmeals, giving it the texture of a giant cookie.
As for the peeled and grated zucchini, there is some method behind my madness. The zucchini adds moisture and volume (and vitamins) to the oatmeal without impacting the taste. Sure, you may be able to see it (unless you grate it really finely), but trust me on this one: you can’t taste it.
The bottom line: If, like me, you dream of eating giant cookies for breakfast, then I think we’re in business.
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 very ripe banana
- 1 rounded tablespoon orange zest (~ Zest of 1 orange)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- 1 - 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1 - 2 tablespoons raisins
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease two ramekins.
- Peel and grate the zucchini (using a box grater). You’ll end up with approximately ½ cup grated zucchini. Set aside.
- Mash the banana in a bowl. Add the orange zest, vanilla extract and grated zucchini.
- Mix in the rolled oats, baking powder, salt, shredded coconut, almonds and raisins. Add the orange juice and almond milk, and mix until well combined.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared ramekins. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes. Enjoy!