Recently I’ve really started to love smoothies. It’s bordering on an obsession.
My old attitude towards smoothies was pretty much “Do I really want to clean the blender for a glass of fruit?”. Yes, yes I do.
When you add in a variety of fruits, some yogurt for creaminess – and perhaps a little fancy layering – then a smoothie isn’t just blended fruit. It’s a glass of colorful excitement!
These days my typical breakfast is a smoothie and a cookie. Ok, maybe more than one cookie. Since I’m so close to finishing my eBook (full of recipes for healthy, butter-free cookies), I’ve been remaking and retesting recipes like a mad woman.
Breakfast has turned into smoothies and cookies, I’ve been offloading cookies onto friends, I’ve got a freezer full of cookies… My life is overrun with cookies at the moment!
But that’s enough about cookies! Let’s turn back to these smoothies!
If I’ve learned one thing from smoothie/juice franchises, it’s that smoothies need ridiculous names. Pretty sure I’ve got that one covered *dusts hands*.
These are actually strawberry, banana, mango and spinach smoothies. The green smoothie on the bottom is made using a frozen banana, frozen mango chunks, spinach and almond milk. It’s super thick too! Why? Gravity. I really didn’t want the pink smoothie to meld with the green smoothie, since that would result in a brown gross-looking thing. Plus, texture contrast is always good, right?
The pink smoothie on the top is made from another frozen banana, strawberries, Greek yogurt and almond milk. If you’d prefer to use another yogurt – plain, flavored, soy, almond, coconut, etc. – then go ahead! There aren’t many rules in the smoothie world (uh, except the law of gravity).
The recipe below is for two servings, but if you’re flying solo, I’ve done the division for you (and tested the single-serving recipe):
- Green Smoothie: ½ frozen banana, ½ cup frozen mango chunks, 1 cup spinach, ¼ cup almond milk
- Pink Smoothie: ½ frozen banana, 4 – 6 strawberries, 3 oz. (85g) plain Greek yogurt, 1/8 cup almond milk
(The directions are the same as in the recipe below)
And if you’re looking for some different smoothie recipes, here are a few more ideas:
Have a great week, everyone!
- For the Green Layer:
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup frozen mango chunks
- 2 cups spinach
- ½ cup almond milk
For the Pink Layer:
- 1 frozen banana
- 10 - 12 strawberries, hulled and chopped
- ½ cup Greek-style yogurt
- ¼ cup almond milk
- Make the Green Layer: Blend frozen banana, frozen mango, spinach, and almond milk until smooth. Divide between two tall glasses.
- Make the Pink layer: Rinse the blender, and then blend the frozen banana, strawberries, Greek yogurt and almond milk until smooth. Divide between the glasses (pouring it on top of the Green Layer). Enjoy!
1/2 cup Greek yogurt is equivalent to one of those individual tubs