This gluten-free oatmeal reminds me of my favorite Nutella and Banana Crepes. Except this breakfast is a lot faster!
Have you ever been to Paris? If you visit the City of Lights, I can highly recommend Nutella and banana crepes. And by ‘highly recommend’, I mean: Oh My God They’re Amazing!! I became completely addicted to Nutella and banana crepes when I was in Paris in 2010. But I had good excuse. Sort of.
Here’s the story: I was on a high-school overseas trip to Italy, France and Belgium – it was a ‘history tour’, even though we spent a ton of time shopping and investigating chocolate stores. The trip ended with one week in Paris, so naturally I tried a Nutella and banana crepe (ok, more than one). But then, on the day we were supposed to leave, there was a volcano in Iceland that spewed ash all over Europe and grounded all flights. Luckily, we weren’t kicked out of the hotel – and it was a super cool hotel! The beds came out of the walls, and every room had a microwave. Admittedly, I was terrified that my bed would fold back into the wall while I was sleeping in it.
Anyway, since nobody knew when this unpredictable volcano would stop having its hissy fit, we didn’t know when the airport would re-open. Since I wasn’t sure which day would be my last in Paris, I had to buy a Nutella and banana crepe everyday – just in case it was my last opportunity! Ultimately, we were stuck in Paris for an extra week – or seven extra crepes!
And even though I said ‘stuck’ in Paris, let’s be honest, it was awesome. I spent more money that week than during the previous two weeks. Plus, the school group went to Euro Disneyland, a chocolate factory, and to the top of the Eiffel Tower. And to top it all off, we missed a week of school.
This is my cartoon depiction of that week:
Side Note: Some people have noted that my drawings look a bit like Simpsons characters. I’m not affiliated with ‘The Simpsons’ in any way. It’s just how I draw.
I have made Nutella and banana crepes since that trip, but I wanted something a bit healthier and more filling. Cue oatmeal. This oatmeal reminds me of that wonderful extra week in Paris, courtesy of some volcano in Iceland. I love Europe.
P.S. I found out a really weird fact about myself on that trip – I sleep with my eyes open! I fell asleep on the bus and a friend thought I had died. She didn’t tell anyone though. She claimed, ‘I was afraid you weren’t dead. Then I would’ve embarrassed myself’. Such a good friend! (We’re still friends today)
The photos in this post were updated on December 1, 2014.
- 1 very ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon Nutella
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup almond milk
- ½ cup rolled oats
- Extra Nutella, to serve
- Mash half of the banana in a small bowl or dish. Mix in the Nutella, vanilla extract and maple syrup. Set aside (and reserve the remaining banana half).
- In a saucepan, whisk together the cocoa powder and water until the cocoa powder dissolves. Add the almond milk and stir well.
- Bring the almond milk mixture to a boil, and then turn down the heat to medium-low. Add the rolled oats and stir. Add the mashed banana mixture, and stir again.
- Slice the other half of the banana and add it to the saucepan (if desired, reserve a couple of slices for the topping)
- When the oatmeal reaches your desired consistency, transfer it to a bowl. Top with the extra Nutella and any reserved banana slices. Enjoy!
Variation: Try adding ¼ tsp of ground cinnamon!