A creamy, comforting bowl of peanut butter, honey and apple oatmeal topped with Crunchy Nut cereal.
As much as I love oatmeal (and I really love oatmeal), I have to admit that I have a particular fondness for Crunchy Nut cereal. Those flakes are sweet, nutty, and horribly addictive.
So every now and again, I get a big craving for Crunchy Nut and buy a box. But I have no interest in just eating a bowl of Crunchy Nut for breakfast, because a) I love my oatmeal, and b) Crunchy Nut is not filling at all!
Maybe it’s just me, but I could easily eat three bowls of Crunchy Nut and still want more…
The solution to my dilemma: add Crunchy Nut to my oatmeal.
As I was aiming for the oatmeal to reflect the flavors of Crunchy Nut, peanut butter and honey were clearly necessary. Why the apple? Well, the apple adds extra sweetness and crunchyness. Plus volume (always a good thing in my books).
Of course, there’s Crunchy Nut cereal on top of the oatmeal. I wouldn’t dare tell you how much cereal to add – but when it comes to oatmeal toppings, I dismiss that whole ‘less is more’ thing. Not a chance. More is more.
Because oatmeal toppings are everything, this bowl of oats is also topped with peanut butter and honey.
I tried to take a picture of honey being drizzled on top of the oatmeal, but something clearly got in the way of the camera.
By the way, if you don’t have any Crunchy Nut cereal or don’t like it or something, just leave it out. Instead of Crunchy Nut and Apple Oatmeal, you’ll be left with Peanut Butter, Honey and Apple Oatmeal (which is still delicious!).
This post was updated (with new pictures) in February 2016.
- 1 cup almond milk
- ½ cup rolled oats
- Pinch of salt
- 1 small apple, diced
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 heaping tablespoon crunchy peanut butter
- Crunchy peanut butter
- Crunchy Nut cereal
- In a saucepan, bring the almond milk to a boil, and then turn down the heat to medium. Add the rolled oats and salt, and stir well.
- Add the diced apple, cinnamon, vanilla extract and honey. Stir in the peanut butter.
- When the oats have absorbed the liquid and are creamy, transfer the oatmeal to a bowl. Top with a spoonful of crunchy peanut butter, some Crunchy Nut cereal and a drizzle of honey. Enjoy!
Feel free to replace the Crunchy Nut cereal with some chopped peanuts.